[Hazelhurst-Newsletter] September newsletter and more!

Hazelhurst Admin admin at hazelhurst.coop
Fri Sep 14 10:44:09 GMT 2012

 Here, after a summer break is the newsletter from Hazelhurst CSA. Lots
 has happened since the last newsletter, most importantly the vegbag
 scheme has started and is a roaring success!
 This newsletter contains important information about the upcoming
 public meeting and AGM - we hope everybody will come to this.
 There is also an advert for a job at Hazelhurst.

 Attached is the pretty version, easy to read and illustrated. But if
 your computer can't cope with a pdf file, then here's the simple text:
 Hope to see you on October 3rd.

                                         Newsletter no 11,  September
 2012

 http://www.hazelhurst.coop
 http://www.facebook.com/HazelhurstCSA      Find us on Twitter
 @HazelhurstCSA
 This e-newsletter brings you a regular update on Hazelhurst Community
 Supported Agriculture Co-operative. To subscribe, email
 admin at hazelhurst.coop
 Events

 Hazelhurst CSA Co-op Annual General Meeting
 Wednesday 3rd October
 6.00 drinks and snacks for 6.30 start
 Quaker Meeting House, 10 St James St S1 2EW
 Followed at 7.45 by
 The Fun, Figures and Freedom of Community Food Initiatives
 An illustrated discussion with Nick Weir
 Nick is a founder member of Stroud Community Agriculture which is now
 held up by the Soil Association as a Beacon Community Supported
 Agriculture (CSA) project. He is also a founder member of Stroudco Food
 Hub (http://www.stroudco.org.uk), which is providing a new economic
 model for community food distribution
 Hazelhurst Community Supported Agriculture Co-operative will hold its
 Annual General Meeting at 6.30 with a report on the last year at
 Hazelhurst and election of the Management Committee. Everyone is welcome
 to attend the AGM, although only members can vote
 Please come to the meeting! And tell your friends. It’s a chance to
 hear more about what’s happening in local food and about Hazelhurst.
 There will be a chance to talk to some of the volunteers working for the
 CSA and hear about the many ways you can be involved.

 Members are receiving a notice of the meeting requesting nominations
 for the Management Committee.

 More Events
 Hazelhurst CSA Co-op invites you to join us for
 The Big Dig
 Come to the field on Sunday 16th September and join us for some serious
 digging in the potato patch
 Get fresh air! 			  Get fit!       			 Get tired!
 For details contact Stella on 07541209661 or stellah231 at gmail.com
 Find out more at
 www.bigdig.org.uk	http://www.facebook.com/thebigdiguk

 Weekend
 There are plans afoot for a Women’s Creativity Weekend at Hazelhurst on
 29th/30th September. May include camping if the weather is right.
 Contact Stella for details on  07541209661 or   stellah231 at gmail.com

  Hazelhurst at the Rutland
 On Wednesday  19th September there will be a Hazelhurst pub night at
 the Rutland Arms   (86 Brown St,  S1 2BS) This is  a regular event on
 the 3rd Wednesday of the month
 It’s for anyone who is involved and/or interested in Hazelhurst to get
 together for a drink and a chat.  If it’s sunny (ha!) we’ll be in the
 beer garden; if there are lots of us we may retire to the upstairs room;
 otherwise we’ll be in the downstairs bar. Food is available, and any
 time from 7pm is likely to find some of us there. Come and join us!

 News

 The vegbags go live!
 On 27th July the first weekly vegbags went out. Many of you will have
 subscribed and we hope you are enjoying your veg. We have a fantastic
 team of volunteers who have organised harvesting, transport and
 distribution. Surplus produce is going to local restaurants and shops
 and some is being sold on Albert Road on a Friday evening. Feedback from
 customers has been enthusiastic and we look forward to the weekly vegbag
 continuing throughout the year.

 We’re looking for a Project Manager
 Since Hazelhurst is now working so successfully we have received some
 funding which will allow us to employ a part time project manager to
 help take the business forward and develop the environmental justice
 (local and global) aspect of the project.
 If you are interested in the job, or know somebody who might be,
 contact Joan ajmiller at blueyonder.co.uk
 Or phone 0114 2498613
 Job Title: Hazelhust CSA Project Manager
 Job: A project manager is required to coordinate the cooperative’s veg
 bag scheme and develop the environmental justice aspect of the
 co-operative.
 Job Description:
 Hazelhurst CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is a co-operative
 enterprise growing vegetables sustainably in the Moss valley, just
 beyond Sheffield’s SE ring road.  A part time grower is in place
 supported by volunteers. This new post is central in our ambition to
 develop a thriving veg–bag scheme for the Heeley-Meersbrook community
 and introduce more people to locally grown organic produce.
 An exciting part is to develop the Environmental Justice aspect of the
 job, locally and globally.
 An experienced professional with good management and people skills, you
 will manage and co-ordinate the business administration side of the
 enterprise and play an important part in developing our new three year
 plan. You will demonstrate good IT skills and sound financial
 management, together with an understanding of the cooperative ethos.
 Job Location: Home working with some travelling to the Hazelhurst field
 site and within the local community.
 Salary: £17.161 (hourly rate of £8.80) pro rata
 Job Type: part-time, 12 months with the possibility of extending for a
 second year.
 Hours: 15 hours per week
 Benefits: Opportunity to work with enthusiastic, committed volunteers
 and contribute to the local food agenda.
 Closing date: 12 noon, Monday 1st October. Interviews Tuesday 9th
 October.
 How to apply: Please contact Caroline Krzesinska, Fundraiser at
 carolinekrz at gmail.com for a job description, person specification and a
 simple application form.

 Grower’s news
 Harvesting has been going on apace at Hazelhurst over the past 2
 months. We've dug up about 1,500 onions - all drying now in the
 polytunnel. We've also dug up 700kg of potatoes - Cara and Nicola
 proving to be the best for productivity and taste respectively.
 In the tunnel the french beans have been prolific - over 100kg in all.
 The tomatoes have been very slow to ripen due to low light levels - we
 hope to start harvesting them mid September. We've recently pulled out
 the indoor courgettes as the field sown plants are cropping well, and
 the squashes are just ready - we hope to store them for the bags over
 the winter. With all the rain, beetroot has been a success - volunteer
 quote - "they're like bowling balls!" and the celeriac has also enjoyed
 the wet weather.
  Marion's bees have been feeding on blue flowered phacelia that was
 sown as a green manure - now it's going to seed we plan to chop it down
 and leave it to rot into the beds to increase fertility. This will also
 provide a mulch over the winter. We'll be sowing rye grass in the old
 potato beds later in the season which we can dig back in next spring to
 improve soil structure.

 Volunteering on the land
 Report from Stella, Volunteer co-ordinator
 September - time of mists and mellow fruitfulness. The skies begin to
 darken and the leaves to fall and yet the days just now are warm and
 sunshine ripens all the pumpkins, just when we thought it wouldn’t.
 The courgettes are still going strong we are harvesting a wheelbarrow
 full each week and most delicious they are as well. The tomatoes are
 almost ripe; some are red enough but Matt says they are not to be picked
 because the red ones help the green ones to ripen. So we will have to
 wait until they are all ripe before you have tomatoes in the veg bags.
 The onions and potatoes are all harvested. We could not keep them in
 the ground any longer because of airborne fungal diseases. Now they are
 all safely stored in the perfect conditions in some kind person’s
 garage.
 There are always mangetout peas to pick although the French beans are
 dwindling, as the runner beans are ripening ready to take their place.
 The beetroot we are harvesting are huge - some as big as bowling woods,
 and the swede still in the ground are the size of a footballs.
 There are more and more volunteers enjoying helping on the land at
 Hazelhurst, 9 or 10 each work day at the most. If you haven’t
 volunteered yet, now would be a good time to join in the fun. We need
 your help more than ever. There’s so much to harvest and there’s
 weeding, clearing and soil preparation, seed sowing and planting out new
 crops. It is enjoyable working together and helps you lose your
 inhibitions and get talking. One quiet shy volunteer when we were
 discussing Occupy, said ‘I may be old fashioned but what is needed is a
 revolt’.
 The Earth rewards our labour of love with an abundant harvest.
  Yours with gratitude, Stella.

 Getting involved
 Hazelhurst needs lots of help and there are lots of different ways you
 can be involved.
 Volunteering on the land – the days are every Wednesday and Thursday
 and 2 Sundays per month. Contact stellah231 at gmail.com or phone Stella on
 07541209661 for details.

 The next volunteering Sundays are 16th September (also known as The Big
 Dig)
  & 7th October
 Or you can help with administration, fundraising, finance, IT,
 publicity, marketing, distribution, organising events, training, giving
 talks, writing newsletters, or just joining in. Contact
 admin at hazelhurst.coop  to discuss. We’d love to hear from you!

  Who are we?
 Hazelhurst Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Co-operative is based
 on a field in the Moss Valley, just beyond the ring road. Our aim is to
 grow and distribute organically grown, affordable food for the benefit
 of the community, using ecologically sustainable methods and to protect
 and enhance biodiversity.

 What's your inspiration? Tell us about your ideas for Hazelhurst CSA by
 coming to the AGM on 3rd October, or by emailing admin at hazelhurst.coop.
 Have a look at the website www.hazelhurst.coop

 If you want to unsubscribe from this list, and no longer receive
 updates about Hazelhurst CSA, you can do so by sending email to:
 admin at hazelhurst.coop