[Hazelhurst-Newsletter] Hazelhurst May newsletter

Hazelhurst Admin admin at hazelhurst.coop
Thu May 10 21:56:41 GMT 2012

 Here is the Hazelhurst newsletter for May.

 Below is the bare bones version - if you can open a PDF file on your
 computer, please look at the attachment instead - it's much prettier. If
 you'd like to see more pictures of Hazelhurst, do have a look on
 Facebook and Twitter.

                                                    Newsletter no 8 May
 2012
 See our website: http://www.hazelhurst.coop/

 http://www.facebook.com/HazelhurstCSA
         Find us on Twitter @HazelhurstCSA

 This e-newsletter brings you a regular update on Hazelhurst Community
 Supported Agriculture Co-operative. To subscribe, email
 admin at hazelhurst.coop

 SOS!! We need plastic bottles to make cloches for little plants
 Big pop bottles (not coloured), water bottles, milk bottles (2 litre+
 size). At least 10cm diameter.  Please keep any you can. Drop them off
 at the front of 147 Albert Road, S8 9QX or phone 07541209661 to arrange
 collection

 Latest news
 Our veg box scheme will be starting in June. We will soon be sending
 out details and an invitation to join so that you can receive a weekly
 box of organic vegetables. Be prepared to order from Hazelhurst!

 Events
 Sadly, our camping weekend event in April was rained off, so we’ve
 rescheduled it. . . .

 1st – 3rd June: Camping and Working Weekend at Hazelhurst
 Come for some fresh air and horticultural fun! Planting out, sowing
 seeds, building a compost heap and more. . . Camping from Friday night.
 On Saturday you can join Hedgerow Medicine: A herb walk led by Carol
 Burnett, medical herbalist
 There will be campfires, sowing of a wild flower meadow, a Tai Chi
 session, a moonlight slug hunt and perhaps a visit to the pub.  To find
 out more and book a place, email stellah231 at gmail.com or phone Stella on
 07541209661

 More Events. . .

 •	Hazelhurst Social evening. There will be a Hazelhurst social meet-up
 on Wednesday  23rd May at the Rutland Arms (86 Brown St,  S1 2BS)
 This is for anyone who is involved and/or interested in Hazelhurst to
 get together for a drink and a chat.  If it’s sunny (ha!) we’ll be in
 the beer garden; if there are lots of us we may retire to the upstairs
 room; otherwise we’ll be in the downstairs bar. Food is available, and
 any time from 7pm is likely to find some of us there. Come and join us!
 If people enjoy this, we’ll make it a regular event once a month.

 •	People might be interested to know that on Thurs 28th June, there
 will be a public meeting about Food Sovereignty (7.45pm, Central United
 Reformed Church, corner of Chapel Walk / Norfolk Street).  The speaker
 will be Patrick Mulvany,  senior policy adviser to Practical Action and
 Chair of the UK Food Group (UKFG), an independent network of UK
 organisations concerned with global food and farming issues.  For more
 information see:  http://groups.wdm.org.uk/sheffield/ or contact
 o.blensdorf at virgin.net

 Report from the land
 The cold wet weather of the last few weeks has set everything back by a
 couple of weeks. The lane to Hazelhurst was under water and impassable
 by car for several days. Most work has been focused on the polytunnel,
 although beds have been prepared with green waste compost for brassicas
 and leeks, and the rhubarb bed has been planted.  The broad beans are
 coming on nicely, some still under fleece. Inside the polytunnels are
 tray upon tray of seedlings ready to plant out when the weather
 improves. Courgettes are in the ground in there, and beds and supports
 are ready for climbing beans. Salad crops are coming along nicely.
 We are still much in need of plastic bottles for cloches, and any
 donations of tools, wheelbarrows, tables, trestles or wooden stakes (2
 to 3 inches thick) would be most welcome. Also (in case this weather
 continues) we would be really glad of donations of boots, wellies and
 rainproof clothing for volunteers.

 Volunteering on the land
 Report from Stella, Volunteer Co-ordinator
 Now is a very exciting time to volunteer at Hazelhurst. The polytunnel
 is full to bursting with germinating and emerging seedlings. We are
 sowing everything, and potting on lots of seedlings to larger pots.
 Keeping them all looked after, and watered is a full time job.
 The French and Italian courgettes are now carefully planted out in the
 polytunnels. Each has a cloche made by Maureen out of a plastic drink
 bottle (we need more of these) to protect them from wee nibblers.
 Out of doors we are digging potato trenches. There are 9x70 meter rows
 to be dug, and the first 7 are complete. We are working faster as a team
 than before. At first we only dug half a trench before lunch, now we can
 dig and plant out one trench before lunch and another dug and filled and
 covered before we go home.
 The wind blew the Mypex off the rhubarb bed so Matt had to re-dig the
 trenches around it again to make it fit, and tuck the edges under the
 soil. The rhubarb is planted out now and looking good.
 The wind also blew the fleece off the broad beans, they are doing fine
 now. We had to cover some of them again and weigh down the fleece with
 more soil.
 When it started bucketing down with rain, we all ran into the
 polytunnels, where it was warm and dry. Sowed some more seed, and
 pricked out the giant red mustard. We took off our wet jackets and flung
 them over the bars of the polytunnels to dry, and exercised to keep
 warm.

 Ways to get involved
 Hazelhurst needs lots of help and there are lots of different ways you
 can be involved.
 Volunteering on the land – the days are every Wednesday and Thursday
 and 2 Sundays per month. Contact stellah231 at gmail.com or phone Stella on
 07541209661 for details.

 The next volunteering Sunday is Sunday 20th May

 Or you can help with administration, committee work, finance, IT,
 planning, publicity, marketing, distribution, fundraising, organising
 events, training, giving talks, writing newsletters, just joining in.
 Contact admin at hazelhurst.coop  to discuss. We’d love to hear from you!
 We are still looking for volunteers to help staff the Hazlehurst stall
 at summer festivals and farmers’ markets. Please email
 admin at hazelhurst.coop  if you would like to do this
  Volunteer’s quote of the month
 (After 2 weeks of rain) ‘This must be the trickle down effect’

 Interesting stuff about CSAs

  In November last year the Soil Association published The Impact of
 Community Supported Agriculture .  This is the final report of their
 project to support CSA, as part of the Making Local Food Work programme.
 Its findings, from information gathered from more than 80 CSAs in
 England, are very encouraging.  Although the number and scale of CSA
 projects so far is relatively small, the positive impacts on
 environment, health and social life and the economy of farming are
 significant. Cheer yourself up! Have a look at the full report at:
 http://www.soilassociation.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=l3kfHnNhvxg%3D&tabid=373

 CSA Management Committee

 The CSA Management Committee will next meet on 6th June . Please get in
 touch if you have any comments, queries or things you think we should be
 discussing.
  Who are we?
 The Hazelhurst Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Co-operative is
 based on a field in the Moss Valley, just beyond the ring road. Our aim
 is to grow and distribute organically grown, affordable food for the
 benefit of the community, using ecologically sustainable methods and to
 protect and enhance biodiversity.

 What's your inspiration? Tell us about your ideas for Hazelhurst CSA by
 emailing admin at hazelhurst.coop. Have a look at the website
 www.hazelhurst.coop

 If you want to unsubscribe from this list, and no longer receive
 updates about Hazelhurst CSA, you can do so by sending email to:
 admin at hazelhurst.coop