[freearchitecture] Open 3D CAD file format

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at vectorsection.org
Thu Oct 30 19:00:14 GMT 2008

# from Terry Hancock
# on Thursday 30 October 2008 11:14:

>There may be some other choices, but these two represent what I see as
>the main two strategic choices: either pick an industry-standard (but
>large, complex, and over-designed), or pick an under-capable but
> simple community-sourced 3D standard and work to extend its
> capabilities.

Hi Terry,

How does STEP deal with something like CSG?  From my reading, it seems
to focus more on BREP.

With X3D, is there anything in this standard which significantly
deviates from VRML?  If not, it seems that it wouldn't be expressive
enough for any sort of mechanical or architectural CAD.

My plan with the VectorSection CAD hub is to initially implement all of
the 2D primitives and 3D coordinate systems, along with some of the 3D
mesh parts (and eventually solids if I can ever get a toehold on the
ACIS format, and possibly brlcad's formats.)  This would allow
converting meshes between e.g. .dwg/.dxf and .vrml, .x3d, .stl, as well
as supporting the explicit drafted entities ala step AP201 (which,
presumably includes placement of the 2D entities in 3D.)

The upshot of this in format terms (particularly with regard to avaCADo)
will be a plaintext data structure which is capable of representing any
non-associative 2D/3D CAD data.  The bonus is then that you don't have
to write all of your own import/export routines.

Thanks,
Eric
--
  http://vectorsection.org/