[freearchitecture] Open 3D CAD file format

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at vectorsection.org
Fri Nov 28 08:59:57 GMT 2008

# from Terry Hancock
# on Friday 31 October 2008 07:00:

>> The upshot of this in format terms (particularly with regard to
>> avaCADo) will be a plaintext data structure which is capable of
>> representing any non-associative 2D/3D CAD data.  The bonus is then
>> that you don't have to write all of your own import/export routines.
>
>Sounds like a cool thing to do, but also a HUGE project. Do you have
> the resources to complete it?

Of course not.  Hopefully it can be useful before it reaches
"completion", and it would certainly be nice if others were to
contribute.  :-)

>You're going to market this better if you want to see it get adopted.
> At the very least, you need an easy-to-remember name and a resources
> website for the _format_ (not just your program).

Probably.  I've been working on coming up with a useful set of names for
the hub formats and started to document them.  I welcome your
suggestions and comments.

  http://vectorsection.org/formats/

Thanks,
Eric