[freearchitecture] Re: x3d-cad vs. step

Christopher Sean Morrison brlcad at mac.com
Wed May 21 01:45:57 BST 2008

Greg,

Thanks for the note/inquiry.  What sort of update or links are you
referring to?

We're still working on our STEP convertor effort for BRL-CAD if
that's what you're interested in.  I'd be more than willing to help
set you up if you are interested in contributing developer resources
to the task.  It's our #1 development priority (tightly coupled with
our BREP efforts) this year and next, receiving a lot of attention.
It's also still a huge multiple man-year effort that has a couple
years remaining for complete full integration and completion.  Mainly
a huge effort because of the BREP work required to properly/fully
support arbitrary geometry formats.

Given our current developer resources and open source participation,
I don't expect us rolling the converter out for public use until
sometimes next fiscal year.  We're also interested in having someone
work on a collada and/or x3d conversion capability, but that's not
presently on our table given the BREP and STEP tasks.  But again, if
someone wants to contribute the manpower to work that area, I'd
certainly help out as much as I could.

Cheers!
Sean