[freearchitecture] open CAD format is working

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Sep 15 18:23:16 BST 2007

Lars O. Grobe wrote:
>> We are here working in a new open CAD format:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/open_cad_format
>>
>> We are working with Franz Reiter in a new native file for CADs based
>> in Step and X3D-CAD for exchange.

> I see you referencing
> two completely different formats, but which both have a specified useage
> scenario. Besides, there are other formats, some of them have been
> discussed here in depth. There is work needed in implementing formats
> for different applications.

STEP isn't really a file format, it's just a database schema -- it
defines the relationships between entities in the database, but not how
those relationships are serialized to disk. STEP can be implemented in
different data formats, so it's somewhat meaningful to talk about a
"STEP based format with X3D-CAD for exchange".

OTOH, there are already initiatives to create XML-based STEP
representations.

Some leads:

"Engineering Exchange For Free":
http://exff.org/

"STEP-XML" entry, Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10303-28

ISO STEP standards. Most of the standards documents are
pay-access only, but the EXPRESS schema documents themselves
are free for download:
http://www.tc184-sc4.org/

As far as using a distinct internal format is concerned, there are
significant advantages (in terms of diskspace and loading speed) to
using binary formats. So while it might be sensible to use the
"interchange format" as the internal format, there are reasons you might
want to go the other way, too.

HTH,
Terry