[freearchitecture] Blender-Developments

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat May 6 04:10:13 BST 2006

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

>I proposed the creation of some kind of free-caad-sig in the thread I
>mentioned in my original post. In fact, this group here is already
>something like that. My impression is that there are lots of powerful
>tools that could be used in architectural design, but that development
>is not very coordinated between projects. There are lots (maybe
>hundreds) of free 2d-cads in their early steps, so many modelers in
>early stages, but first, most of them bring their own formats, and
>second, they are usually not mature enough for everyday use.

[...]

>These are just some ideas, but I feel that the current state of
>3d-design apps shows that there are not really enough development
>resources to continue without any coordination efforts.

Here's a thought:

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/19/2130248&from=rss
("*FSF supports average users with high-priority list"  May 1, 2006)

*Since it is close to achieving it's old "high priority" free software
targets (Flash support, Java support for Open Office, etc), the
Free Software Foundation will likely be identifying the next
set of areas that need urgent developer attention -- "Software
application areas that need to be freed", as it were.

Should we be aiming to get "Collaborative 3D CAD" on that list?

There's an email address that is recommended to campaign for
a specific project:

campaigns at fsf.org

But I don't think there is (as yet) "one right project" to back on
this goal -- there is rather a number of promising puzzle pieces
that don't quite fit together yet.

What do you think?

I'd be happy to compose an email advocating a course of action,
but I am not myself sure what the right course is.

Cheers,
Terry