[freearchitecture] mailing list traffic, interested persons, website

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 22 19:05:44 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 20:41 +0200, Lars O.Grobe wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I have been subscribed to this list for a while now. And there is so
> few traffic that I am sometimes wondering if my mail configuration
> is ok, but hey, I am still getting so much great spam, the
> technology is still working ;-)
>
> I am wondering about who is still here, as an active or interested
> subscriber. Maybe we should start giving some new life to this by
> sending a small into about us as persons, and with our ideas, why we
> spent the time to add out addresses to this list, why we think that
> free and architecture might become not only two nice words, but a
> meaning... and so on.

I'm still here. We started this list as a way to discuss problems and
solutions in the art and practice of architecture. There is such a
wide range of issues, it becomes nearly impossible to narrow it down.
The list is sort of a brainstorming forum, real projects would be
developed after discussion, spinning off on their own trajectory.
Like:

  http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/draft/
  http://dodocad.sf.net

> Finally, I want to announce that I am starting a website project at
> www.free-architecture.org. I am working on my part, which is first
> of all collecting some information, on the ideas, concepts and
> tools. The main part of my idea of this website is to have a working
> wiki (there is a mediawiki installation ready to be opened), as I
> don't believe in one-man-websites too much. However, I still want to
> try to distill some of the input I get from here, from the wiki (if
> it will be alive one day), everyday life + my brain and whatever to
> some kind of edited and reviewed text on the static pages of the
> domain.
>
> Now, I want to know about what you think about my idea. I want to
> know what is happening to this list, as I would refer to it as an
> essential part of the discussion (I hate discussions on web-based
> forums, mailing lists are much too valuable to be replaced by such
> multicolor information absobers). I want to know about others who
> are interested in this fields, as persons, institutions, maybe other
> websited related.

Good luck on this. It's nice to see someone taking the effort to buy
and host a domain. There are some general links you can follow on this
page: http://dodocad.sourceforge.net/links.html. They'll lead you to
more of the same. :)

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]