[freearchitecture] mailing list traffic, interested persons, website

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 01:02:17 GMT 2005

# from Terry Hancock
# on Sunday 20 November 2005 02:56 pm:

>It's clear there is interest in
>creating better free-software CAD tools, but it hasn't been
>really organized, as far as I can tell -- no project has
>really broken out and attracted a lot of attention.

When I started Scratch Computing, the plan was to deliver custom
software solutions for architects, engineers, manufacturers, and
construction while incorporating, creating, and improving open-source
software in the field.  So far, the only part of the plan that has not
held up is the market demand for custom software that isn't an AutoCAD
plugin, etc.  It seems to be a problem of very large or very small
firms, where the very large ones have built proprietary in-house
components and the very small ones cannot afford to build anything
custom at all.

The primary hurdle, as I see it, is the basic libraries -- including
both geometric functions and file-format support.  There are just too
many files out there in existing formats for a new program to break
into even marginal usage without some import/export support.  I've seen
many open-source half-starts where the "save/load" operations are
essentially a serialization of whatever memory model the developer
happened to be using.

The uber-converter is a plan to break out of that pattern, and
fortunately I have attracted some sponsorship for this from Xara, but
unfortunately, I have not seen any funded interest come from the
architecture or engineering fields.

--Eric
--
Consumers want choice, consumers want openness.
--Rob Glaser