[freearchitecture] Intro / Narya Project

Viveka listmail at karmanaut.com
Sat Jan 31 05:15:49 GMT 2004

On 31/01/2004, at 4:12 PM, Terry Hancock wrote:
> So far I'm talking mostly about 2-D CAD, but there will
> eventually be a need for 3-D models, too.  I am currently
> thinking that a good client viewer option will be to take
> advantage of the existing Blender plugin (which became
> free along with the rest of Blender in the historic
> open-source community purchase).

I've been meaning to introduce this list to the Web3D Consortium:
http://www.web3d.org/

This is the group that has created X3D, which is an XML 3D format
intended for online use.
X3D is back-compatible with VRML97 (the ISO standard for Web 3D, also
known as MPEG-4 BIFS), but different in that it's extensible (which has
led to some interesting extensions such as NURBS, GeoX3D, etc),
profiled, has an XML encoding, etc.
There are a few X3D browsers available. I'll make a list if anyone's
interested.

Of particular interest to this group is the W3DC's CAD Working Group:
  http://www.web3d.org/fs_cad.htm

At the moment this group is getting a lot of industry involvement from
players with various proprietary interests. This has stalled progress
somewhat, since the W3DC's charter is for open standards, and their IP
policy promotes royalty-free (much like the W3C). All these things are
volunteer efforts, run by whoever turns up to the meetings, or
participates in the lists & conference calls. So if anyone on this list
has an understanding of CAD issues (I don't) and wants to help create
an open standard for 3D CAD, this would be the place to start.
Corporate membership of the Consortium is several thousand dollars, but
professional (individual) membership is $US 99. And non-members can
have input as well...

Regards,

V.
--