[freearchitecture] Semi-annual Free Architecture newsletter

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 23:20:31 GMT 2004

Hi Steve

Good to see that that this list was just resting and not
dead ;-)

On Tue 20-Jan-2004 at 12:11:54AM -0500, Steve Hall wrote:

> I'm winding my effort back up to release a set of Free
> tools for AutoCAD focused on Architecture. Figured here
> was as good a place as any to document it. (BTW, what
> does it take to establish a newsgroup?  Can find nothing
> in the nature of alt.architecture.free, alt.cad.free, or
> alt.cad.linux.)

Hmm, I haven't hung out on Usenet much for a long time,
there used to be a procedure for setting up groups, I
expect there still is...

However I'd suggest that we just register this list with
Gmane:

  http://gmane.org/

  http://gmane.org/subscribe.php

There lots of lists there already, news://news.gmane.org/

We could also sign the list up to the Mail Archive:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/

I might get back on some of the intersting stuff in you
post when I have a bit more time :-)

  http://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/freearchitecture/2004-January/000050.html

> Well, this certainly didn't start out as a newsletter,
> but it certainly has evolved into one. I suppose a
> semi-public place is a better location to stash random
> ideas than on a private list. What's that you say? A
> "blog"? Nope. Never heard of one.

Another place where I think it would be great to put this
stuff is on the new Oekonux Wiki that I set up a few weeks
ago:

  http://en.wiki.oekonux.org.uk/

I noticed earlier today that someone has got a draft Free
Science page up:

  http://en.wiki.oekonux.org.uk/User:Akagu/Proposal

And I have just created a Free Architecture page:

  http://en.wiki.oekonux.org.uk/Free_Architecture

This wiki uses the same software as the Wikipedia and it
also uses the FDL (more by default than anything else) --
would it be OK to do some cutting and pasting from this
list archives onto the site? It's quite a nice tool for
documenting things like this :-)

All the best

Chris

PS I met some of the people involved with
   http://www.hackitectura.net/ - it is a kind of
   architects / hackers and activists group in Spain -
   last December at the WSIS in Geneva, seems like they
   are doing some interesting stuff...

--
Free Software may be the foundation of a new economy
http://www.oekonux.org/