[freearchitecture] Re: [PythonCAD] Looking for DXF help

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 12 04:26:29 GMT 2004

[Cross-posting to freearchitecture, since this is nearly OT here.]

From: phrostie, Wed Feb 11 06:56:30 2004

> > Has anyone here ever written extensions for A___CAD using Python?
> > I've heard some stand-alone/static binaries could be compiled for
> > Win32 from Python, but is this crazy talk? Of course, ALisp can run
> > and return from binaries, but is this reasonable?
>
> like:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyacad/

This appears to require the Python environment. Not knowing Python
(yet), I'm looking for a simple binary distributable that I can run
from AutoCAD. It won't work if I have to convince my company to
install Python on 800 machines. ;)

I guess I was looking for stand alone executables, something that
might be created with:

  http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Throw in the ability to write GUI dialogs for AutoCAD *with Python*
and I begin to see a way to write tools (like our thread-starting
.DXF) that can be Free for the imprisoned yet still useful to a Free
project like PythonCAD.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect at mindspring.com ]