[freearchitecture] Online drawing repositories

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 12 23:24:27 GMT 2003

On Wed 12-Feb-2003 at 05:59:52PM +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:

 > (I'm still not convinced that this could get anywhere without
 > something like CVS being integrated with the CAD program itself)

That's an interesting point to note for some future Free CAD app.
CVS-able data would be useful beyond just drawing vectors. Imagine an
SGML-type spec data, task lists, budgetary analysis, finish
schedules... all would benefit from versioning.

On hacking DXF this way, is there even a documented standard (or
accepted) format? What's to prevent AutoCAD from re-arranging all the
entities each export? Sounds tough.

A better strategy might be to half-write a CAD file format that could
import a given DXF file, then export a clean standardized version of
the CVS-style file. It would need some ordering method since the sum
of the entities make the drawing, in no specific order. (Unlike source
code, which is strictly linear to CVS.)

Steve Hall  [ {digitect}@{mindspring}.{com} ]