[freearchitecture] Re: Welcome to the freearchitecture list

Chris Croome chris at croome.net
Fri Feb 7 00:07:01 GMT 2003

Hi

On Thu 06-Feb-2003 at 11:13:17AM -0500, digitect at mindspring.com
wrote:
> on 2/6/2003 7:14 AM Chris Croome said the following:
> >
> > I think the next thing to do next is to post all the ideas we
> > have and then work out what can be done about them :-)
>
> I can imagine we'll have have quite a few!

Great, perhaps we should get onto that after the introductions :-)

> Maybe it would help if I offered a brief introduction about
> myself, it may give you an insights to my goals.

Good idea, following is something brief about where I am coming
from.

I studied Architecture at Sheffield University in the UK, gained a
degree, worked for about 10 years in architects offices (mostly at
Sheffield Council) and spent the last few years using AutoCAD 12 on
Suns and then AutoCAD 13 and 14 on WinNT.

I left architecture and started creating web sites, information
architecture, several years ago and only started using Free software
since stopping working with physical architecture.

I don't use CAD software on a daily basis, the only think I can
think of that would get me using it again is to design my own house
-- I suppose that this is my 'personal itch'.

I'm very keen on applying the ideas and methods of the Free software
movement to other sectors of the economy and things that are
digitised are the obvious place to start. Project Oekonux [1] a
place where there is some interesting discussion about this.

I agree with Steve that identifying open standards that can be used
is a very good starting point.

Another thing that needs thinking about from the beginning is
licences and I think that the FSF approved [2] Design Science
License [3] seems to be the best one to use for drawings at the
moment.

Chris

[1] http://www.oekonux.org/

[2] http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses