[esocialaction] Digital resistance

Walker, Steve S.Walker at leedsmet.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 09:46:10 GMT 2007

May be of interest - forwarded from the Cyber-society-live mailing list.

Steve

The Resistance Studies Network:

 Blogg: www.resistancestudies.org

 Abstract: Understanding "Digital Resistance" (ESA Conference 3-6 Sept

 2007)

 Our paper explore the state of a specific method of resistance: ICT=20
based collective resistance ("digital resistance") and in particular=20
the maturity and description of  digital resistance. Of particular=20
interest to this study is the role of technological infrastructure in=20
forming the content and form of acts of resistance.

 While resistance is distinctive as a challenge which might undermine=20
power, it is manifold and continually invented and one of its forms=20
are, we propose, digital.

 Even though Internet is a new political arena the development of=20
movement activity has been fast and impressive. Some interpret this
as=20  a danger ("cyperterrorism"), others as a promise of a new
democratic=20  and interactive future.

 There is a need for empirically based analysis enabling us to=20
understand the heterogenous expressions of  the "digitalisation" of=20
oppositional politics. Some use digital communication as simply a=20
faster and more efficient method, others, with great ICT knowledge,=20
act more skilled than security firms or anti-terrorist agencies. The=20
variation is enormous but the existing empirical knowledge is still=20
shallow.

 Our analysis develops a typology which describes forms of
resistance,=20  enemies, goals and technological strategy among groups.
And finally we=20  discuss the added possibilities and limititations
with digital=20  resistance.

 Mathias Klang, Mona Lilja and Stellan Vinthagen

Steve

Steve Walker

Senior Lecturer, People & Technology Group

Innovation North, Leeds Metropolitan University