[esocialaction] ICT, Social Capital and Voluntary Action report

Dearden, Andrew M A.M.Dearden at shu.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 20:57:10 BST 2006

thanks Simon

Yes, I really should have said something about that session.
I was there. It was very interesting. David Wilcox has some stuff on his blog about it.

Jayne Cravens had some good practical things to say about facilitating on-line communities.

Ben Andersons' piece was discussing the fact that although lots of money goes into local ICT initiatives, there is little evidence taht deals with the long term impact of initiatives. But what evidence there is shows that bottom up initiatives are far more sustainable than efforts brought down from on high by government & politicians.

The day also saw the launch of a report from the NCVO ICT foresight panel 'campaigning and consultation in the age of participatory media'.

I don't think this is available on-line as yet, but I will enquire.

Andy

Andy Dearden
Reader in e-SocialAction
Communication and Computing Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University
Harmer Building
Sheffield
S1 1WB