[esocialaction] Thorntree Update

Thompson, Steve S.D.Thompson at tees.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 11:02:31 GMT 2006

I know some people have been following the developments in Thorntree and
the TS3 website www.ts3.org.uk

Moving into a new phase now and I gave a presentation yesterday to many
of the agencies charged with improving the lot of people in this
community. I'm not sure how convinced they are about the use of ICT or
if they are just paying lip service but I was keen to point out that the
website points more to what COULD happen rather than a fait accompli.

I'm going to develop it by stealth by working with a switched on Health
Worker using the forum to deal just with health related issues and look
at the rest later. The subject of literacy is also an issue in Thorntree
but I have another stealth tactic in mind and I'm developing something
with Middlesbrough libraries www.boroblog.org.uk  (this is not yet
active - I have to train Library staff first) At least three of these
libraries are in the TS3 area so who knows what might develop.

After the presentation to agencies I referred to, a chap from one of the
employment agencies told me a story that made quite an impact on me that
I'd like to share with you now. He and a colleague were driving a long
term unemployed Thorntree guy to Hartlepool for a job interview. When
they got to Seaton Carew this man started to cry. They assumed it was
his nervousness about the job interview and as they were there to
support him offered him as much reassurance as they could. However, it
transpired that this was not the reason for the mans tears. He was
crying because he had never seen the sea before!

Anyway - he got the job.

Steve Thompson
Community Media Coordinator
Department of Academic Enterprise