[Bins] How is EXIF info taken into account?

Nicolas bins_album at oxstone.com
Mon Jan 17 18:05:12 GMT 2005

Yesterday, I was preparing another gallery for my website (a nice
motorbike trip with 40 bikes! ;-). I had some "portrait" pictures on my
camera. Usually, I don't rotate images on my digital camera, but I did
it yesterday.
Therefore, that pictures appeared in portrait mode when displayed on my
camera (BTW, it's a Canon Powershot A300).
When I downloaded the pictures using gtkam, the images where still in
paysage mode. I had to rotate and save them with Gimp.

What a surprise when I looked at the gallery, which I just made using
bins bins 1.1.27 (Debian SID package). Those pictures which I rotated on
my camera, and "re-rotated" with gimp were displayed in paysage mode!

I found 2 solutions:
- do not save exif information when saving the pictures with gimp
- put them in "paysage" mode on my camera, download them, rotate them
  with gimp.

Could someone explain what is the quickest way to put those pictures in
portrait mode? Can bins rotate the pictures using the EXIF information,
even if the picture downloaded from the camera is still in paysage mode?
Shouldn't gktam take care of that instead of bins?

Thanks!
Nicolas, Paris.

--
- Z750 & Linux -------  ._ /\_>