[Bins] new functionality: search engine

Jérôme SAUTRET jerome at sautret.org
Thu Aug 11 11:14:35 BST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:51:09AM +0100, Michael Gellman wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 21:52 +0200, Jérôme SAUTRET wrote:
> > I'm developing a -somewhat basic- search engine for BINS. It can be
> > used to find pictures by searching keywords in their description
> > fields.
> >
> > I've successfully tested the mechanism with Firefox and Konqueror. I'd
> > appreciate if some of you could test it with some more alternative or
> > exotic browsers like Opera, IE or Safari (no, it won't work with
> > lynx), especially with old versions, if someone has some in his
> > collection.
>
> It looks nice -- a few comments (using Firefox):
>
> * The "Loading Data" screen took a bit too long to go to the search
> engine -- around 30 seconds or so, I would say.

Yes, that what I was saying in my mail :
big album + slow connection = long download

Actually, the search data is 552K big. This kind of data can be easily
compressed, but I don't think I can uncompress it in javascript. If
anyone has an hint about this problem, let me know.

> * Typing a search word into the form and then hitting enter to submit
> the query didn't work. I had to manually use the "Rechercher" button.

Yes, I had the same problem. I've planned to fix it.

> * After clicking on a found picture, if I use my browser's back
> button,
> I am left at an empty search screen instead of my search results.

I saw that too, but due to the dynamic nature of the page, it can be
fixed easily. Anyway, I have a idea of a possible workaround.

--
Jérôme SAUTRET (Jerome at SAUTRET.org)           http://SAUTRET.org
Key 0x95D463F3 fingerprint 3B69 3B60 4D32 B8DF 2BF3 8035 5036 D41A 95D4 63F3