[Bins] number in filenames

Chris Croome chris at croome.net
Sun Mar 2 13:48:01 GMT 2003

Hi

On Sun 02-Mar-2003 at 02:36:16PM +0100, Jérôme SAUTRET wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:21:37AM +0000, Chris Croome wrote:
> >
> >   /example.png.large.html
> >   /example.png.large.jpg
> [...]
> >   /example.jpg.large.html
> >   /example.jpg.large.jpg
> [...]
>
> Yes, it can be a good solution. But in most cases (say 95%...),
> .jpg will appears twice in the filename. But it doesn't shock me
> very much...

I know it's not ideal, but it's better than two _different_ numbers
showing up as happens now if all your images are numbered to start
with -- I always start my photos files names with a number (usually
starting with 001 or 01) so that they appear in the order they were
taken when one lists them or does a slide show using GQview or
whatever.

Here is an example of two different numbers (and my
_not_yet_completed_ XHTML templates) and an image without a border
(commenting that line works :-):

  http://chris.atomism.croome.net/photos/2003/0223/011_Sharrow_Sm.jpg.10.html
                                                   ^^^                ^^
                             ,----------------------|------------------|

I think the 011 and 10 are silly, the 10 doesn't even work for
ordering since 10 comes before 9!

Another option that I was thinking about would be to perhaps use
filenames or directory names starting with a . for some things, eg:

  /example.jpg
  /.example.jpg/thumbnail.jpg
  /.example.jpg/small.jpg
  /.example.jpg/medium.jpg
  /.example.jpg/large.jpg

But I think just using files might be better.

Anyhow the sun is shining and I think I should go outside and take
some more photos :-)

Chris

--
http://chris.croome.net/