[Alt-sheff-organising-group] Event submitted - proposing NOT to upload

Alt-Sheff Collective contact at alt-sheff.org
Tue Nov 4 19:56:25 GMT 2014

Hello everyone, we've got the following event submitted and I am
proposing NOT to put it on the website, is that OK?

a) it's got little to do with any kind of social change, just seems to
be an arts event (except 2 minor elements perhaps)

b) there's no indication it's a community event in a real sense, could
be simply sponsored by Arts Council or property companies for all we
know

c) there's no contact email website to check out

d) it's MASSIVE!! See text SEE BELOW ....

If you disagree please do reply to say so,
Cheers
Jonathan

-------------------------------------

Light Night Sheffield 2014

23rd November 2014; Sheffield City Centre; 1pm - 8pm

Join us on the day of the official city Christmas lights switch on for
a creative experience to remember! Shining a light on our artists,
performers, musicians and creatives, city centre venues will be
brought to life, and opened up for you to explore. Exhibitions,
performances, workshops and activities will aim to ignite your
imaginations and encourage you to discover our city centre in a new
light through creativity. We want to unlock the doors of spaces we
don’t ordinarily get to see, animate places in a completely new way
and celebrate what Sheffield has to offer for all ages. This is a
small event, complementing the activities taking place in the city
centre for the Light Switch on, for which the Sheffield City Council
expect 30,000 people. We had a huge response from artists wanting to
get involved. We are still looking for volunteer stewards to help us
on the day of Light Night. More information can be found on our
Volunteer page. The programme is being finalised, with times and
locations and any prices to be updated in the next week. Below is a
list of the artists, performers and events being planned. Memories in
Space Charlotte Kieran Installation sculpture of a chairs shadow.
Beginners Creative Lighting and Filming Workshop Sheffield University
Students Union Forge TV and Film-making society Learn the basics of
film-making and lighting in films, have a go using the equipment and
create your own 1 minute film under the guidance of society members.
Light Up Ice Lanterns Madeleina Kay An installation of paper
sculptures and a workshop teaching people how to construct an origami
fairy lantern. Recycled Lantern Making Artboat A workshop decorating
recycled plastic bottles to create LED lanterns which can then be
added to a community chandelier celebrating light. Falling Angels Tara
Baker Dance performance remembering stories and events from World War
1. The Funky Frequencies of Cabbage Funk Cabbage Funk Hang out in a
colourful psychedelic den and add to the art work yourself. Living Art
Study David Jones Performance including images of often unnoticed
locations and objects that invites the audience to observe the urban
environment and re-envisage it in a fun and imaginative way. One Upon
A Twisted Tale Tangled Dance Company An abstract take on fairy tales
that has toured the North of England this summer, engaging all ages
with dance, music and acrobatics. ELE:MENTAL Moenipulation Outdoor
projection of 10 pieces of video art. The Princess and the Phoenix
Sheena Amos Youth Trust -Side by Side An LGBT fairy-tale play that
challenges traditional children’s stories. Skull Pinata Fiona Allsop
Mexican influenced art exhibition. fREaK My Johansson Dance previously
only performed in Sweden, dealing with trauma. Star in the Ghetto
J.Kas Engaging event using art and digital technologies to explain
social justice to diverse groups. Winter Lantern Workshop Liz Searle
Create a simple but dramatic cardboard lantern and light it up with an
LED candle. Loxley Silver Band An annual part of the Christmas light
switch on experience from this experienced band celebrating their
125th anniversary. A Richer Dust Concealed Sheffield University
Theatre Company A chance to get a sneak preview of a performance to be
shown later in Weston Park’s WW1 exhibit, exploring life during the
Great War, including responses to unanswered letters. Tom’s Diner
Black Box Productions and Open Door Theatre Company Collaboration
Specifically created for Light Nights 2014, a dance and drama
performance set to an extended version of Suzanne Vega’s ‘Tom’s
Diner’. Screen Printing Christmas Cards The Edge of the Universe
Printing Press Screen-print your own Christmas cards in this workshop.
Sanctum Without Walls Theatre Company A one act play focusing on
Sheffield’s multiculturalism. The Glang Show ACC Productions A chance
for audience members to interact with a live comedy competition.
Regulate Exhibition Regulate Art collective Exhibition and all age
activities inspired by the exhibition themes (reflex, structure, form,
repetition etc). There will be 3 stations using clay, marbling inks
and charcoal with specific instructions to follow at each station to
explore different artistic processes and create unique artwork The
Feast of Both punkTure A performance installation of a carnival-esque
feast. Brought to life using dance, comedy, aerial circus, music and
visuals. There will also be a series events in Channing Hall, the
details of which are to be confirmed.