[alt-sheff-news] Alt-Sheff NEWSLETTER March 2013

Alt-Sheff Collective contact at alt-sheff.org
Mon Mar 4 16:52:16 GMT 2013

Alt-Sheff Newsletter : March 2013
---------------------------------

Welcome to the latest from www.alt-sheff.org - the guide to
Sheffield's radical, alternative and ethical business and groups.
Special welcome to people who have recently subscribed.

NOTE >>> To read this newsletter in a nice printable 2-page document
(with pictures!) open the attachment to this email. Or if you prefer
text only, carry on reading...

	CONTENTS
	--------
	Sheffield has become very radical!
	Alt-Sheff progress
	Ding-Dong! The Glitch Is Dead!
	Out of touch with what's going on? (things happening in March 2013)

Sheffield has become very radical!
----------------------------------
Not surprising, in view of the government's "austerity" programme. As
well as protests, there is a lot of intelligent discussion about
inequality and the financial system, and activism happening on
cycling, feminism, gender, sexuality, peace, the environment and
climate change, animal rights and far more. It's only thanks to
pressure from people that things change, and Alt-Sheff will continue
to encourage and publicise activism around the city.

Alt-Sheff progress
------------------
This is the first newsletter since last summer, but that doesn't mean
we've been inactive. We've consistently kept the website updated for
over the last year. And we've had some nice feedback from various
people and organisations. Also Now Then magazine continues to feature
a monthly Alt-Sheff column called LocalCheck. Current and back issues
are available to read at www.nowthenmagazine.com

Various plans are under discussion, including a possible benefit gig
to fund-raise. As you probably know, Alt-Sheff is run by volunteers,
so the only costs are website hosting and publicity. We've spend
little or nothing on this, but had some great help in being allowed to
display Alt-Sheff posters at a cut-price rate on the Fact Totem. This
is the new, big round billboard display for Sheffield small
businesses/organisations. The first one is on Devonshire Green as a
trial run, and there should be more to come, see www.facttotem.com

Alt-Sheff is now recruiting help with inputting events.
If you may be interested, and can spare a couple of hours a week,
please get in touch to find out about the role.

Ding-Dong! The Glitch Is Dead!
------------------------------
There have been a number of technical improvements behind the scenes
so the website's running really well. Had problems trying to submit an
event for listing? That glitch is fixed! Please feel free to list
suitable events, by clicking "Submit event" - top left of the homepage.

Out of touch with what's going on?
----------------------------------
Here's a sample of things happening in March 2013, in addition to
various groups' regular meetings. See our "Events" listing for full
and daily updated details of these and far more.

Seminar: Challenging Racist Myths about Grooming Mon 4th March
Amnesty International charity pub quiz Mon 4th March
Talk: "Breaking Their Will .. Religious Child Maltreatment" Tue 5th March
Film: "How Long is Indefinite?" Tue 5th March
Performance: "Asylum Monologues" Wed 6th March
Gig: Global Grooves II Thu 7th March
Film "Climate Refugees" Tue 7th March
Talk: "Crossing Borders and Health" Fri 8th March
Lecture: "Global migrants, local cultures" Fri 8th March
Sleep-out in aid of ASSIST Sat 9th March
Course: Frame Basketmaking Sun 10th March
Pedal Ready Women-only Bike Ride Sun 10th March
Film: "They Go To Die" Mon 11th March
Nicaragua and Sheffield: A Latin American Perspective Tue 12th March
City of Sanctuary Sheffield Refresher Conference Thu 14th March
Talk: "Fixing our Broken Economy" Thu 14th March
Feminist Friday Fri 15th March
Sheffield Friday Night Ride: "Edgelands and Ghost Streets" Fri 15th March
Gig: Ki Himayat (Bluebell Wood fundraiser) Fri 15th March
Course: Walking Stick Making Sat 16th March
Sheffield Zine Fest Sat 16th March
An Evening With Estelí Sat 16th March
Conference: "Unite the Resistance-The Fight Against Austerity" Sat 16th March
Workshops: Fruit tree grafting Sat 16 & Sun 17th March
Course: Intro to Basic Greenwood Craft Wed 20th March
Pecha Kucha: "TOWiE - The Only Way is Ethics"Thu 21st March
Farm Kitchen Gourmet Evening Fri 22th March
Introduction to Veganism: "Sheffield Vegan Approach" Sat 23th March-20 Apr
Dinner: Fundraiser for ASSIST Sat 23th March
Talk: "The Limitations of Psychiatric Diagnosis" Mon 25th March
"Positive Money" meeting Mon 25th March
"Peace in the Park" open meeting Wed 27th March
"Critical Mass" Fri 29th March

That's all for now