[alt-sheff-news] Alt-Sheff website mail-out for July 2012

Alt-Sheff Collective contact at alt-sheff.org
Sat Jul 21 14:30:43 GMT 2012

Alt-Sheff Mail-out JULY 2012

Hello from www.alt-sheff.co.uk ?The guide to Sheffield's radical,
alternative and ethical business and groups?. Just a reminder that the
website is still going strong, after 4 years, and it's updated
regularly with events coming up. When there's a chance of events being
rained off, we try to get the latest news on Alt-Sheff, to be a
reliable source of information.

This is the first newsletter for ages, so a special welcome to people
who have recently subscribed.

In this newsletter:

   - -     - -     - -

1.  Good stuff
2.  COMING UP
3.  Ideas
4.  Glitches
5.  THANK YOU

   - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     -

1.  Good stuff: A quick mention for the Alt-Sheff ?News? page, with
news snippets on things in Sheffield. And the ?Links? page, which is a
huge list of good organisations to find out about.

By the way, if you don't know, ?Now Then? magazine has a monthly
Alt-Sheff column called ?LocalCheck?: www.nowthenmagazine.com

Alt-Sheff is proud to be a member of Webarchitects, a Sheffield-based
co-operative which hosts our website, and offers a whole load of
internet services with good ethical principles: www.ecodissident.net

   - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     -

2.  COMING UP: Some upcoming events of particular interest include:

Monday 23rd July 2012: The public meeting by Sheffield Stop the War
Coalition in opposition to western intervention in Syria and Iran,
which has some high-level speakers.

Wednesday 25th July: A consultation event because Sheffield may soon
get local television, via Freeview, cable and the internet, so the
public's ideas and viewpoints are needed for the formal application
for licensing.

Also Wednesday 25th July: Transition Sheffield explores environmental
sustainability with Jack Scott, Sheffield City Council cabinet member
for ?Environment, Waste and Streetscene?. If we could 'transition' to
a more advanced, less polluting world, how would it work at the level
of our city?  Bring your ideas, and listen to some of the council's.

Saturday 28th July: Workshop by LaDIYfest, a Sheffield part of the
feminist and anti-capitalist movement. By the way it is inclusive of
all, including men, guided by carefully thought-out policies like
those on safer spaces and accessibility. Between festivals they are
busy with workshops such as this, which will be producing a magazine.

Sunday 5th August: Doncaster Pride, which starts with the "Walk of
Unity" through the centre of this nearby town. If you've never been to
Doncaster, what better occasion to go?

Sunday 12th August: Lowedges Festival, which is huge; last year over
10,000 people came. Alt-Sheff lists festivals and fayres because
they're not-for-profit community-run events, when people get together
and publicise what they're doing outside of paid work.

   - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     -

3.  Ideas? Please get in touch: Alt-Sheff is run by a small collective
of Sheffield people. Our next planning meeting is coming soon, so if
you have any suggestions, feedback or ideas please tell us ? For
example, what should we do with the ?Videos? page; Expand it? Scrap
it? Change it?

   - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     - -     -

4.  Glitches happen even in the best websites, and we know there's one
that causes problems with ?Add An Event? on the home page. It doesn't
accept apostrophes (') but this will hopefully be sorted out soon.
Also the contacts form isn't working at the moment. If you spot any
other problems please tell us.

5.  THANK YOU to everyone who emails in with stuff to add, comments,
etc. It's really good to get help and feedback; sorry if emails are
not all answered all the time. There are loads of people subscribed to
this newsletter list, so that's really encouraging as well.

That's all for now ? thanks for reading this. If you want to get in
touch or unsubscribe from this list just email us on
contact at alt-sheff.org