[999nhs-coordinators] Accommdation

Geoff Dunbar geoff.dunbar1 at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 24 11:39:16 GMT 2014

Hi

The jigsaw for this part of the marsh is starting to come together nicely. Using the gmail 'system' has been great fun and the learning curve not as steep as I thought it might be. Despite a couple of schoolboy infant mistakes and with the patience of of those on the receiving end, the form to those making individual offers of help is out there and as I type the replies are finding their way to their spreadsheet. With these offers we intend to set up a self-referral system, which will be set up when all the replies are in.

This leaves me free to concentrate my efforts to try and support the work you are doing for the overnight stays in your area. With your help, I think I am now up to speed on what is happening along the length of the march. What is becoming clear is that both the basic groundwork and your local efforts have been sound. I know that there are days when organising an event like this can feel a bit of an uphill struggle. So please make sure you give yourselves a pat on the back or a glass of wine, because your efforts are really bearing fruit.

Looking at the overall picture, I feel confident that we will have accommodation in place for the 300 milers. That's a great relief to me as I won't have to ask my son for instructions on how to set up a bivouac in a town centre. There is still a bit of work to do on this front, but it is looking good.

As the accommodation needs of the 300 milers takes shape, I am trying to see where there might be some spare capacity. Yes you did read that right - spare capacity. We know that some people are joining us for part of the march and walking more than one section. So, while my main focus remains completing the jigsaw to the folk walking all the way to London, I am also keeping an on this other group.

When I was asked to do this job I was given a spreadsheet called 'food and beds'. So rightly or wrongly I am trying to keep an eye on the needs of folk as they walk from A-B. From the master spreadsheet at 'HQ', I checked on the stopping points for refreshments, availability of loos and availability of water supplies. In the email I sent out to you, I included a question about these bodily needs. The 'ins and outs' of biology. This was probably from a point of self interest. All I am looking to do is have an overview of what is available. The supply of water is something that concerns me, as I'm sure it does you. It was brought into sharp focus when my son was chatting to me on skype the other day. For those of you who have heard this already, forgive me for repeating myself. He lives in Northern Sweden. He was telling me that just up the road in a town called Luleå only about 50 miles from the Arctic Circle, people were being given a health warning
 because temperatures were soaring (at least 30°C or 86°F for the next 3 days). Even the temperature of the Baltic Sea was at 25°C.

Lastly for now. I will be chasing up information on walkers over the next few days. Practical stuff like numbers, special needs if there are any. I will then pass the relevant information to you. I guess this will be more important for those of you who are providing accommodation in people's homes.

The last thing to say is a sincere thank you to you all for the sterling work you are doing. You have put in the hard work to make things happen in your area and without you... it doesn't bear thinking.

Regards

Geoff

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm. Anon

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” Albert Camus