[ptx] I've tried the Panosaurus panorama bracket...

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sat Apr 24 22:55:47 BST 2004

I have now tried Greg Rubottom's Panosaurus panorama head, which is a
lightweight amateur panorama bracket, made to be inexpensive yet still
very effective for a wide variety of cameras.

    http://www.gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm

A first try at a one-row portrait-oriented 360-degree panorama, made
with the Panosaurus, Autopano, Hugin, Nona and the GIMP.  Without the
Panosaurus, the parallax at close range would be overwhelming.  My old
build of Autopano found a lot of control points I needed to delete or
adjust.  The current build of Hugin had a bit of a crashing problem if I
rushed things while it resized its cache images.  Nona worked
flawlessly, making either a JPEG or a TIFF_m layered image.  The GIMP
2.0 is very solid thanks to last-minute patches for TIFF_m use.

I'm trying a new Autopano version today, and I hope Hugin can work out
some of its multi-threaded issues soon.  With my 20mm lens on the 10D, I
think I can get the whole sphere in 38 shots.

I want to put together a "case study" page showing how all these parts
fit together, and host it at the Hugin site.  Does this make sense?  Or
should we wait for a non-encumbered alternative to SIFT is implemented
openly first?

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]